Sunday, January 23, 2011

Small Change, Big Impact

  Unbeknownst to me, my husband does not like our couch pillows. To tell you the truth I don't like them either. They were the decoration frustration purchase where you can't find what you are looking for but you know you need something decision. I thought they would be fun and were a little out of my comfort zone, so I took the plunge. To be fair to my husband, we weren't married when I bought them and wasn't consulted on the decision making.

  Now we are married and important things like throw pillows should be discussed. I feel like we have good communication within our marriage. We've always been able to talk to one another. Our conversation went like this:
Me: "How do you feel about our couch pillows?"
Husband: "They're ok. They're squishy."
M: "No, I mean do you like them?"
H: "Not really."
M: "Me either! I'm buying new ones!"
H: "Ok." Husband never looked up from his computer the entire conversation.

  So off I went to find the perfect throw pillows for our couches, which was harder to find than I expected. One of the problems I ran into was trying to find pillows that my husband will like.  They are as follows:
   1. Not ugly
   2. Not girly
   3. Fluffy and squishy
   4. Soft

  You wouldn't think that this would be too terribly hard to find, but it was. I must tell you first that my husband is an artist. He majored in graphic design and draws, paints, creates, designs, and makes life look beautiful. He looks at life much differently than I do as a non-artist, and that is one of the things I love about him. But I was completely alone on my pillow search mission. He was home working on a website that he is building for a client, so, of course, I went shopping. We also need a coffee table, and I was more than happy to go hunting.

  After about 5 hours, I think I found what we were looking for. Here's the before and after.

Before:



After:




  I think I really like the look of the new pillows. Our couches and chair are brownish red, and it can be really hard to match things to it. The frame is black cedar, so I tried to bring out the trim with the pillows.  And this is the most comfortable chair in the world. 

  Here is the coffee table that we bought from Kirkland's of all places. Who would have thought? The table is a bit small, but it came with 2 side tables, which we also need. It will come in on Monday, so Husband can put it together for me! I also bought the pillows with that swirly pattern on it to mimic the rounded edges of the tables. 


  I'm also thinking of trying to find a bright teal blue pillow and maybe a mustard yellow one. I think it would add a pop of color since our living room is slowly becoming monochromatic. All in due time. Maybe I can make my own pillow cases and reuse the old pillows we don't like. I think I'm reaching here.





No comments:

Post a Comment